The past week has been all about the new house, and my hands have been busy with home repairs and improvements instead of writing. However, I did craft a tiny bit of fiction in some spare time. I also used my skills as a writer to create a huge number of “To Do” checklists for each area of the house and to organize the outpouring of help and support from friends and family. Those have helped with this big job, and I even got a compliment from a friend’s ex-military father assisting us that these were excellent “mission plans”.
There has been a lot of neglect to this property, but it’s not a bad house. It’s a good house. And the more we clean away grit and grime and fix the damage, the more charm returns to it.
The major repairs to the upstairs flooring are now done. I tell you, having dog urine pooled under carpeting on a 1930’s era hardwood floor for a year or so does terrible, terrible things to it…
The structural planks from 1920 underneath were dry and strong, however…
Now what was a black eye and source of odor has been replaced by Oden himself with a beautiful new hardwood that showcases the cozy upstairs hall!
My contribution was spending ten hours becoming intimately familiar with its attached stairwell, stripping and sanding ninety years of wear, paint, stain and carpet staples to reveal the original wood grain of the steps. Sweaty, hard work in high heat and humidity, but now it’s done and this weekend we’ll apply new stain and sealant.
Best of all, my Writer’s Den is ready to be painted. :-)
Another update next week! Take care!