WIP-it Wednesday: November 29th, 2017

Time for a new weekly writer’s roundup of my works-in-progress and those ready to read!

My goals for the week were to get back to work on my WIP, Shadow of the Black Tower, over most the holiday weekend. I was able to achieve this, although my progress wasn’t has as rapid as I would have liked. In fact, it was a slog getting back into gear with this story that I hadn’t had much opportunity to work with since late October.

I started by giving its opening 3,000 words a thorough read-through and edit along with a few rewrites/additions… a tactic I recommend to anyone trying to “get back into the flow” of a piece you’ve had a substantial break from. From there I finished what will likely be the story’s third chapter and began it’s fourth. It was slow going, and of my three consecutive days of working on it, I only met my word-count goal on Sunday to reach 5,000 words in total.

The last day went best because I identified a nagging problem that I couldn’t put my finger on for awhile. The issue was probably exasperated by having had to put the story down for so long. Simply put, it will suffice to say that although I had clear ideas for the opening, and for the climax and ending yet to come… I’d gotten lost with what I needed to accomplish in the early middle part of the tale.

To find my way out of the doldrums, I pulled out my copy of Christopher Vogler’s The Writer’s Journey and used it as a map to triangulate where I was in the progressing narrative. That was fairly easy to narrow down using a monomyth structure, as I know how I want shape the later parts of the story… and I can analyze where I am along a hero’s journey currently by looking at what I’ve already written.

This led me to realize that I was stuck in the “Tests, Allies and Enemies” phase. While “Allies and Enemies” certainly were in play, I discovered what was bothering me about the narrative was that I wasn’t providing my unlikely hero with any sufficient tests to demonstrate his abilities. Before he crosses the threshold into the serious danger of the opening climax, I need to show the reader that he’s up to the challenge… or at least that he has the potential to be up to the challenge if he can pull his act together.

With the issue identified, it was like I knew the shape of the piece I needed to bridge the gap with. I pondered a few ideas, settled on a couple, and the writing began to flow again. :-) I think things will go a lot better this upcoming weekend, as now I’ll be getting into the really good stuff I’ve been looking forward to writing and the path ahead is now mapped.

In other WIP news: I have a new flash-fiction piece I’m working on for the blog next week, and I posted seven new microfictions on my Mid-Week Muses feature earlier today. :-) In addition, the second chapter of Cretaceous Queen —my novelette of teenage superheroes, magic, dinosaurs, and robots— came out on Saturday! :-D

Alright, time for me to stop blogging and get back to writing some more fiction! Take care!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: